Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summit Saison

Ever since I first tried my friend CJ's summit APA, the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted to use those hops in a saison. So I did.

Recipe was pretty straightforward - mostly pilsner with a little munich and wheat thrown in for good measure. Hopping additions at 60, 10, and 0 (.25 oz, 1 oz, and 1 oz respectively - those Summit hops are potent for bittering) to give it some flavor and aroma. Going to add some plain table sugar after fermentation gets going a bit to push things along and if fermentation slows before I'm ready for it to quit, I've got my champagne yeast ready.

Normally, I'd never put champagne yeast in a beer, but since saisons are great super dry, I'm okay with it for this. I really just want the saison yeast to impart enough flavor to be recognizably a saison, and since most of that type of activity happens at the beginning of the yeast life cycle, I don't really have any reservations about giving them a push towards the end.

Lacking a heating blanket, I'm considering the use of a space heater to give the yeast that little extra warmth it craves, but then I have to also live in the same place as said yeast, and I sure don't appreciate the heat. I've run the AC in winter to make the yeast happy, but I don't think I can run heat in DC's summer.

OG: 1.061 (plus whatever contribution from the sugar), IBUs: roundabout 32.

Came in at about 78% efficiency, which is pretty standard for me, although I had calculated the recipe at 70% because I am stupid sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment